Monday, April 18, 2011

I can do it BY MYSELF!!

Nothing is more frustrating then when we're in a hurry to get out the door (or do anything, for that matter) and Maggie decides that whatever task needs to be complete before we go, is one she is going to do BY HERSELF.  There have been many outings that start with 10 min. of trying to get her coat on, or "tie" her shoes or pack her lunch.  I know it's important to let her do these things and start to be a little more independent but seriously, it can drive me nuts!

I started with that because in the last few days I've realized that there are probably a few people around me, especially my dear husband, who have the same observation of me.  Some of Maggie's independence is just her growing up, but I have to believe maybe a little bit of it is genetic.  I totally understand her feelings of wanting to be able to do something, or everything, for herself.

Early last week I decided that maybe I would try to pack the girls up and take them to Arizona for a few days.  Betti's birthday was Saturday, she was going to be by herself because all the boys were in Las Vegas for Evan's Bachelor Party, and today is Passover.  At first, a few people mentioned that I might be a little crazy to try to travel with both girls alone, but I just wasn't willing to consider that it could be anything but a breeze.  One of my biggest fears about about having a second baby, was that it would slow me down, so this opportunity gave me the chance to prove to myself that I could in fact manage.....AND I was right!  The trip was pretty uneventful.  Both girls were awesome.  Other then the TSA guy being a total pain in the a**, our flight being delayed an hour and a little poop incident as the plane was landing, it went exactly like I pictured.

(I'm posting from Arnie's computer and I can't get these pictures to rotate, so I apologize for all the sideways pictures. I'll try and fix them when I get home.) 

The girls waiting for the flight....


Once we got on the plane... (they were so good, I found myself wishing I had something grown-up to do on my iPad instead of just a bunch of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episodes and a puzzle game)



Always Mommy's big helper!

I guess it's a good thing I had a couple Mickey's...


Just as the Captain turned on the fasten seat belt sign and said we were landed Grace pooped all over.  I wasn't really sure what to do, so I stripped her naked, wrapped her in a US Air blanket (for the next guys sake, I sure hope they wash those!) and then with a little help from big sister we got her cleaned up, a new diaper and new clothes on and other then the guy across the aisle from us, no one knew anything had happened.

Once we got to Arizona, Grandma met us at the airport. Maggie was so excited to be here and couldn't wait to get back to the house and see LUCY!!  We had a fun girls evening and hopefully we helped Betti enjoy her Birthday.  Then yesterday, Arnie, Evan, Dick and Amy joined us and we had a great day.  Maggie got to go to the dog park with Lucy and then daddy and uncle Evan took her swimming. 


We started the day with a walk... the weather is beautiful!  Did I mention there were 4 inches of snow on the ground in Norfolk Friday!!!!


Then lots of play time...



I think Maggie and Aunt Amy were having a serious discussion
about the duties of a flower girl :)

Just relaxing in the shade!
Pool time!!!


Gracie wasn't thrilled about sticking her toes in.


 I'm really glad we made the trip.  I'm thrilled that we got to spend part of Betti's Birthday with her, that I was able to get here in one piece without losing my mind, that we'll get to spend a couple more days with Uncle Evan, Aunt Amy (Maggie loves playing with them!), Grandma and Pops and that today we'll get to share Passover as a family. 

I'm sure I'll have more pictures and stories to share, but for today I think this is getting a little long....

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness, you are a brave woman! i'm so glad to hear all went well with your first travel experience....let me guess - next stop, Mexico?? :)

    ReplyDelete