Well, Maggie made her first trip to the dentist yesterday. It wasn't a scheduled visit but thankfully the news wasn't too bad.
On Thursday afternoon Maggie was "taking a nap" or at least being quite laying on our bed. I was in the office and heard a big THUD! My first thought was, it's just the basketball (Maggie's taken to sleeping with a basketball, occasionally it falls off the bed in the night and makes a loud noise). I headed upstairs to check it out, I was halfway up the steps when Maggie started screaming. I rounded the corner into the bedroom and she was sitting in the middle of the bed covered in blood! I picked her up and ran for the bathroom, once I got some water and a towel on her face, I figured out the blood was coming (quickly) from both her nose and mouth. She stopped crying and we had this conversation:
Maggie: "Mom, what's all this red stuff?"
Me: "It's blood."
Maggie: "Where is it coming from?"
Me: "Well honey, it's coming from you."
Maggie: "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!"
Her nose and lip quickly swelled and I figured out I wasn't going to get the bleeding stopped anytime soon. I gathered her up, called Arnie, put her in the car and off we went for the doctor (both covered in blood)....
By the time we finished at the doctor, the bleeding had stopped, Maggie had decided that a slushy would fix everything and we were told maybe we better see a dentist.
Maggie told me that she had been asleep when she hit her face on my headboard....when we got to Omaha Friday morning she told Grandma that she had been jumping on the bed when the accident happened...a much more likely story.
After x-rays at the dentist, we were thrilled to hear that her 2 front teeth were ok. She tore the skin that attaches your top lip to your gums, and her gums are VERY bruised, but the teeth were in-tacked and not damaged.
They did tell us, because of the blood in her gums, there is a chance her teeth could get blood inside of them and turn grey....I'm a bit (okay, totally) panicked by that idea, but the dentist said it would take up to 2 weeks before we know if that's going to happen or not.
My dad thought it would be really funny to send me this picture today.... (Maggie stayed in Omaha for the weekend)
Maggie called me later to tell me that Grandma had "tickled her tooth with some eyeliner"....hahahahahaha, very funny!
On a side note, you know you live in a small town when you're kidless for an entire weekend and the things you do for fun are attend a couple high school basketball games and go to the annual Lions club pancake feed....seriously, you'd think we could come up with something better!

Glad Miss Maggie is okay. I can relate to the front tooth issue...I will NEVER ride a bike with no brakes again. Lesson learned!
ReplyDeleteLove you guys!
-Aunt Yo