Sunday, January 16, 2011

A weekend at home...

We don't very often spend a weekend at home, I actually can't think of the last time it happened, probably sometime in the late summer or early fall.  To be completely honest, I kind of like it that way.  I would much prefer to be on the go, traveling, spending time with family and friends, working, experiencing life with Maggie and Arnie, etc... BUT this weekend, we had nothing we had to do and nowhere we had to go...it was a nice break. 

Yesterday Arnie headed out to shovel off the deck, Maggie really wanted to go help, despite the freezing cold temperatures, so we bundled her up and off she went.  She really wanted a shovel like daddy, but of course I couldn't find any of the sand shovels or the little gardening shovels in the garage, so we turned to the next best thing....a big kitchen spoon.  I'm not sure how much she actually "shoveled" but she loved flinging spoonfuls of snow around.  They tried to build a snowman, but this just isn't good snowman snow, so instead the piled a bunch of snow in the middle of the deck and made a snowman head...Reagan has since eaten all the lifesavers that used to be eyes and a mouth, but it was really cute while it lasted.  Reagan LOVES this weather, she comes in looking like a live snowman and leaves a trail of little snowballs and puddles in her wake. 


Last night we watched the Panthers beat Creighton Prep and had a great evening with dear friends.  Before I moved to Norfolk I never would have thought of a high school sporting event (that one of my kids wasn't playing in) as a Saturday night activity...but now, it just seems so normal :) 

Maggie has been asking to go sledding since she got a new sled for Christmas, and today her daddy agreed.  After bundling up, again...we went to skyview lake, they made a couple of runs down the hill....it's a HUGE hill, Maggie was loving the riding down but having a really hard time with the getting back up, so we decided to get back in the truck and go to a little bit smaller hill in Grandma and Pop's front yard...that was a good idea.  While Arnie still had to do most of the work getting them both back up the hill, at least it was more manageable and she could go down over and over and over.  She had to be freezing (her little gloves kept falling off) but of course she still didn't want to quit, we finally drug her back to the truck.  Last year we pulled her around a little on the snow and I think she rode down the hill with Arnie a couple of times, but this was really her first sledding experience and like she does with most things in life, she jumped in with both feet, had no fear and LOVED every minute. 
Since mommy isn't such a lover of all things cold (I took pictures from the truck most of the time they were sledding) and this is cruddy snow for building a snowman...this afternoon we made an indoor snowman. He turned out pretty cute.  I think the highlight for Maggie was getting to use the scissors, she loves to cut!


This is turning into a rather long post, who'd of thought I'd have so much to say after just spending the weekend at home...

We have a busy week ahead, Maggie has a couple of days of school, then Tuesday we get to go see baby Potato again.  I'm thankful that the doctors are watching her so carefully and it's fun to get to glimpse into her little world so frequently....Maggie's been talking alot about Potato playing with toys in my belly, I wonder if she'll notice there aren't any toys in the picture?  Wednesday we're headed to Mexico, and at the last minute Grandma decided to fly along (she says it's because she's worried about me traveling alone so pregnant, but I think it might have more to do with the sub-zero forecast???? hmmmmm.... Either way it will be really nice to have the help and we're thrilled she's coming.)  Next weekend Mom and Arnie will trade places and he'll join us for one last vacation as a family of 3.  I'm not planning on slowing down much once we're a family of 4, but it will definitely be different for all of us.  I can't wait to meet Little Miss Potato but I'm also trying to take in every moment of the remainder of Maggie's only child days. 

I'm sure we'll have lots of exciting updates to come, I can't imagine we'll be spending another weekend at home any time soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment