Maggie is currently going through a phase where she really likes to make everything a contest...we race to see who can go up the steps faster, who can get their pajamas on faster, who can find their shoes first, etc., etc., etc.... Oh ya, and of course she thinks she ALWAYS has to win. BUT as of today her baby sister has her beat at one contest...I have now been pregnant with Potato longer then I was with Maggie (or Ralf as we called her at the time). Only a few hours longer at this point, but it was a milestone we were really eager to pass. Now, no matter what happens, we feel like we know what to expect and that our baby girl will be just fine.
It's funny, when I was pregnant with Maggie, while it wasn't an easy pregnancy, it was fairly routine....until one day I went to the doctor and she said, we need you to go to the hospital. I still didn't understand the severity of what she was saying, I asked what I should pack and if I needed to bring anything for the baby or if I was just going to spend a couple of days there. The doctor then told me that someone else would need to gather our things and that she expected me to drive across the street to the hospital immediately....being the fantastic direction follower that I am, I went home....I had Reagan in the car with me (we were just out running a few quick errands) and I wanted to get some pajamas (I wasn't going to wear one of those hospital gowns). Arnie was in Colorado, so I called and told him what was going on. I then proceeded to call my parents, who scolded me for not listening to the doctor and quickly met me at home and took me back to the hospital. I was right, I didn't need to hurry....7 days later the doctor decided it was time for Maggie to be born...or "Crack Out" as we have taken to calling it at our house. BUT with Potato it's been completely different, it seems like at every turn since we found out we were expecting with her the doctor has been bringing "issues" to our attention and warning us of possible complications. I've spent this pregnancy much more nervous and feeling like I was constantly being told to prepare for a premature baby...and yet here we are, 34 weeks later, with a baby that likely weighs somewhere between 5 and 6 lbs and whose ultimately cooperated better then my last pregnancy and who is doing great. It's just another reminder that all of these things need to be left in God's hands and it doesn't do me an ounce of good to try and control or worry about the situation.
Yesterday's doctors appointment went well, Potato is growing great. Her head is still proportionally way ahead of her abdomen and her legs are somewhere in the middle, so basically when you put all the numbers together, she's about average....of course to us she's amazing, not average, but as a medical term we'll take it. I'm doing okay too, my blood pressure is slowing rising, so it may still become an issue, but for now, we're holding steady.
This ultrasound picture isn't great, but the lady really wanted Maggie to have a picture....and I think if I scan it and put it here there is a better chance I'll be able to find it in 10 years when potato wants to look at. Her hand was in front of her face, so that's what all the fuzz is about, but the 2 things to really notice are how round her little check is and how prominent her HAIR is...again the ultrasound tech commented on how much she seemed to have, we'll see, I stuck a couple of barrettes in the hospital bag just in case :)
Maggie hasn't been feeling great for the last couple of days, lots of runny nose and coughing...and a little fever. Preschool is like a breeding ground for germs. Yesterday she seemed to kind of bounce back, her fever was gone and she wanted to go along to check in on Baby Potato...she thinks it's very funny when they squeeze the ultrasound jelly on my belly. After the doctor the weather was nice enough that she and Grandma took a walk to the park and then "scooted" for a little while before we drove home.
We had to be home in time for the Panther basketball game, they won their district last night and now we just wait to see the schedule for state basketball...I wonder if I'm in Omaha having a baby and the Panthers are in Lincoln playing for the state title, where Arnie will be?? :)

Looooooove those cheeks and the sweet baby girl they belong to!
ReplyDelete