Thursday, September 1, 2016

Mayo....

....not the food, the hospital.
Arnie and I made it home last night from a couple days of appointments at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. It seems like we spent most of the trip in this waiting room. The good news is we met with 2 outstanding doctors and we know Arnie's case is in good hands. They basically confirmed everything we already knew, gave us a ton of education on what happened, how much it will improve on it's own and what to expect when they operate. The bad news is, they confirmed surgery is necessary. In 6-8 weeks after another cat scan in Norfolk, we will return to Rochester for the colon resection surgery. It's more complicated then we originally understood it to be, but we have quiet possibly the best surgeon in the country on the team and we are very grateful for that (and she could easily be Aunt Diane's twin! I wanted to take her picture but I decided she might think that was strange). In the next 6 weeks we hope that the inflammation will decrease and simplify the surgery a bit. It's critical that the infection not return and that Arnie keep healing on his own.
 
I'm praying that we will be able to stay calm and not worry too much about what's ahead....that's easier said then done. The girls did great while we were away. Maggie and Gracie stayed in Norfolk with Grandma and Pops and Haddie hung out in Omaha with Grandma and Grandpa. The next trip will be quiet a bit longer, likely 7-10 days. I've never been away from the kids for that long, it's going to seem like an eternity. Probably harder on me then them. Thank God for FaceTime and good help!
 
Arnie is feeling better and getting stronger every day. The doctor told him to start exercising and build up as much strength as possible before the surgery.
 
We are very lucky to have all the support and help we have. I can't imagine trying to navigate this alone. All you have to do is spend a few hours in Downtown Rochester "people watching" to know it could be SOOOO much worse. Thanks for worrying about us.

No comments:

Post a Comment